The Truth About The White Lie
AbkhazianAfrikaansAkawaioAlbanian (Shqiptare)AltayAmharic (አማርኛ)Arabic (عربى)Armenian (Հայերեն)AssameseAvarAzerbaijani (Azərbaycan)BandungBatakBengali (বাঙ্গালি)BohemianBosnian (Bosanski)Bulgarian (Български)BuluBurmese (မြန်မာနိုင်ငံ)CaribCatalan (Català)CebuanoChewaTshilubaChinese (中国人)ChitongaCroatian (Hrvatski)Czech (Čeština)Danish (Dansk)Dutch (Nederlands)EsperantoEstonian (Eesti Keel)FaroeseFarsi (فارسی)FijianFinnish (Suomalainen)French (Français)GaroGeorgian (Ქართული)German (Deutsch)Greek (Ελληνικά)GreenlandicGujarati (ગુજરાતી)HakhaHausaHebrew (עִברִית)HiligaynonHindi (हिन्दी)HmarHungarian (Magyar)Icelandic (Íslenska)IgboIlocanoIndonesian (Indonesia)Italian (Italiano)Japanese (日本語)Kannada (ಕನ್ನಡ)Kazakh (Қазақ)KhasiKhmer (ខ្មែរ)KinandeKinyarwandaKiribatiKirundiKorean (한국어)KoryakKurdish (Kurdî)Kyrgyz (Кыргызча)LaoLatvian (Latviski)Lithuanian (Lietuvių)LoziLugandaLuoMaasaiMacedonian (Македонски)MalagasyMalay (Melayu)Malayalam (മലയാളം)MaoriMaraMarathi (मराठी)Mauritian CreoleMizoMongolianMontenegrinNepali (नेपाली)NorwegianNyoro (Tooro)OdiaOromoOvamboPampanganPangasinanPolish (Polskie)Portuguese (Português)Punjabi (ਪੰਜਾਬੀ)RarotonganRomanian (Română)Russian (Русский)RusynSamoan (Samoa)SantaliSerbian (Српски)Serbo-CroatianSgaw KarenShonaSinhala (සිංහල)Slovak (Slovenský)SothoSpanish (Español)Swahili (Kiswahili)Swedish (Svenska)TagalogTahitianTaiwaneseTajik (Тоҷикӣ)Tamil (தமிழ்)Telugu (తెలుగు)Thai (ไทย)Tok PisinTonganTswanaTumbukaTurkish (Türkçe)TurkmenTwiUkrainian (Українська)Urdu (اردو)Uzbek (O'zbek)VendaVietnamese (Tiếng Việt)Welsh (Cymraeg)Xhosa (Isixhosa)YorubaZomiZulu
EGW Research Documents
The Truth About The White Lie
101 Questions on the Sanctuary and on Ellen White1888—Issues, Outcomes, LessonsThe 1907 Interview with John Harvey KelloggThe 1911 Edition of “The Great Controversy”Advent ExperienceAmalgamationAnother Look At Israel DammanThe Ark of the Covenant, Will It Be Found?Basic Principles of Understanding Ellen G. White’s WritingsBasic Rules of Interpretation-Internal and ExternalThe Bible, Science, and Age of the EarthThe Biblical Basis for a Modern ProphetBrief Statements Regarding the Writings of Ellen G. WhiteCalamities and God’s Love; Sin, Judgment, and the Shortness of TimeCan All Be Prophets?Charismatic Experiences In Early Seventh-day Adventist HistoryCharismatic Experiences in the Seventh-Day Adventist ChurchCommon or Uninspired WritingsCompilations—What They Are and What They Are NotConflicts in the Last DaysCounsel Regarding the Question of the 144,000Counsels from the Spirit of Prophecy on Labor Unions and ConfederaciesA Critique of the Book Prophetess of HealthThe Development of Adventist Thinking on Clean and Unclean MeatsDoctrinal Development, Authority, and Ellen WhiteDramatic Productions In SDA InstitutionsThe E. G. White Appeal in 1901 for the Reorganization of the General ConferenceThe E. G. White Counsel on Versions of the BibleEllen G. White: A Brief BiographyEllen G. White and Church Race RelationsEllen G. White and the Shut Door QuestionEllen G. White and the TitheEllen G. White Comments on the Use of Tithe FundsEllen G. White Statements Concerning CancerEllen G. White statements related to the observance of Christmas and holiday giftsEllen G. White Statements Relating to Geology and Earth SciencesEllen G. White the PersonEllen G. White’s Attitude Toward Her WorkEllen G. White’s Counsel and Practice on TitheEllen G. White’s Use Of The Term “Race War”, and Related InsightsEllen G. White’s View of the Role of Women in the SDA ChurchEllen Gould White Speaks Out Regarding The Work For The Jewish PeopleEllen White and the Role of Women in the ChurchEllen White and VegetarianismEllen White’s Integrative ThemesEllen White’s Last Four BooksEllen White’s PredictionsEllen White’s Trinitarian Statements: What Did She Actually Write?Exhibits Relating to the Ordination of WomenExhibits Relating to the Writing of The Desire of AgesThe Fannie Bolton StoryThe First Battle of Manassas, July 21, 1861The Gathering of IsraelThe Genealogy of Ellen G. WhiteGod’s True Church TodayGuiding Principles in Dress ReformHas the Seventh-day Adventist Church Become Babylon?Heralds of New LightHermeneutics Interpreting a 19th-Century Prophet in the Space AgeHighlights of the Beginning of the Tithing SystemThe History and Use of the TitheHow Ellen White’s Books Were WrittenHow The Desire of Ages Was WrittenInspiration/Revelation: What It Is and How It WorksThe Integrity of the Sanctuary TruthThe Integrity of the Testimonies to the ChurchInterpreting Ellen G. White’s Earth History CommentsThe Investigative Judgment in the Writings of Ellen G. WhiteIs The Great Controversy Missing a Chapter?Issues on Revelation and InspirationThe Light Still ShinesMinneapolis - 1888: The “Forgotten” IssueMr. Faulkhead and the Secret SignMrs. White’s IndebtednessMusic—Its Role, Qualities, and InfluenceMy Special GrandmotherA Nutrition Authority Discusses Mrs. E. G. WhiteOpen and Shut DoorThe Position of “The Bible, and the Bible Only” and the Relationship of This to the Writings of Ellen WhiteThe Predictions of the 1856 VisionPurpose and Objectives of Seventh-day Adventist InstitutionsThe Ramik Report (Plagiarism/Copyright Issue)Revelation-Inspiration—Ellen White’s Witness and ExperienceThe Right To Vote—Shall I Exercise It?Seventh-day Adventism—The Spirit Behind the ChurchSeventh-day Adventists and Life InsuranceSeventh-day Adventists and the Reform DressShall We Use Flesh Foods?Slavery—Will It Be Revived?Some Hermeneutical Principles Bearing On the Ellen G. White WritingsSome Key Thoughts from Ellen White on City EvangelismSpecial Testimonies, Series BThe Salamanca Vision and the 1890 DiaryThe “Shut Door” DocumentsThe Spirit of Prophecy and Military ServiceThe Spirit of Prophecy and the Cause of ReformSpirit of Prophecy Counsels on Self-Supporting WorkSpirit of Prophecy Counsels Relating To Church-State RelationshipsTithing Principles and GuidelinesVariation and Frequency of the Ellen G. White VisionsThe Visions of Ellen G. WhiteVisions Or SeizuresW. W. Prescott and the 1911 Edition of The Great ControversyWas Ellen G. White A Plagiarist?The Wedding Band, Ellen G. White, and the Seventh-Day Adventist ChurchWhat Became of A. T. Jones and E. J. Waggoner?Which Are Revealed, Words or Ideas?Why Did Ellen G. White Borrow?Will There Be Another Special Messenger?
By Ellen G. White Estate & Biblical Research Instituteen
Book code: TAWL
Published by Ellen G. White Estate
Citation: Ellen G. White Estate & Biblical Research Institute (1982) The Truth About The White Lie. Ellen G. White Estate.
The Truth About The White Lie- Contents
- A glance at The White Lie reveals many pages of similarities between Mrs. White’s writings and the writings of others. How much did Ellen White borrow from other sources?
- Would people in the nineteenth century have agreed with The White Lie’s judgment that Mrs. White’s literary borrowing constituted “wholesale” stealing?
- It has been rumored that Ellen White was threatened with a lawsuit for her literary borrowing from Conybeare and Howson’s Life and Epistles of the Apostle Paul. What are the facts?
- What about the structure and chapter titles of Ellen White’s Patriarchs and Prophets—Are they similar to Alfred Edersheim’s Old Testament Bible History?
- What about the illustrations from Wylie’s History of Protestantism which the Pacific Press published without credit to the Cassell Company?
- What about the use James and Ellen White made of the writings of J. N. Andrews and Uriah Smith?
- Did Mrs. White make any attempt to conceal from Adventists her literary borrowing?
- Did Mrs. White feel that it was permissible for her to paraphrase the language of others?
- What about the statements where Mrs. White appears to claim an exclusive divine source for what she wrote?
- How could it happen that Mrs. White, in describing what she was shown in a vision, employs the words of other authors?
- Is the comparison between the use of literary sources in the Bible and Ellen White’s literary borrowing really valid?
- What authority did Ellen White have for the pioneers of the Adventist Church? Did they believe in her inspiration?
- Did Uriah Smith have some periods of doubt concerning Ellen White’s prophetic gift?
- J. N. Andrews is said to have doubted Ellen White’s prophetic gift because he saw similarities between Milton’s epic poem, Paradise Lost, and Ellen White’s writings. Did Mrs. White borrow from Paradise Lost and did J. N. Andrews question the gift?
- Apparently A. G. Daniells was criticized in his own time for not being a sufficiently strong supporter of Ellen G. White’s ministry. What was his attitude?
- What was H. Camden Lacey’s role in the preparation of The Desire of Ages?
- Was a failure to grasp the true nature of inspiration one reason why some persons in the past questioned the propriety of Ellen White’s use of literary sources and her reworking of her writings?
- Where can one read a good sample of the pioneers’ views on Ellen White’s prophetic gift?
- Mrs. White suffered a head injury as a child and bouts with ill-health throughout her life. Could her visions have been related to her injuries or illness? Could they have been caused by hypnosis, mesmerism, or epilepsy?
- What was the relationship of Ellen White’s earliest visions to those of William Foy and Hazen Foss?
- Did Mrs. White promise to answer the questions of Drs. Stewart, Sadler, and others, and then, after she received the questions, “conveniently” have a vision instructing her not to do so?
- With more than a thousand books in her library at the time of her death, how could Mrs. White have read and borrowed from them all? Didn’t her literary assistants do some of the borrowing for her?
- Ellen White died before Prophets and Kings was completed. Would not that book be an example of where literary assistants borrowed for her?
- Did some of Ellen White’s literary assistants turn against her and criticize her?
- Marian Davis was one of Mrs. White’s most important literary assistants. How did she view these matters?
- What was the work of the literary assistants? Did they merely correct spelling and punctuation?
- The White Lie is replete with criticism of the restrictive research policies of the Ellen White Estate. What is the White Estate doing to facilitate research, and what restrictions are imposed?
- Why hasn’t Donald McAdams’ study of the Huss manuscript been released? What about Ron Graybill’s similar study of material Mrs. White wrote on Martin Luther?
- It is alleged that the White Estate and the church have been trying to “cover up” Mrs. White’s literary borrowing. Just what has been known in the past about this topic, and what has been shared with the church?
- How should a person decide whether to believe The White Lie or to accept Ellen G. White as a genuine recipient of the prophetic gift?
- What evidence is there of Ellen White’s inspiration?
- What motivated Ellen White to serve as God’s messenger? Was it wealth or fame?
- What of Ellen White’s literary productions, their quality and fruitage?
- What of Ellen White’s public ministry?
- What of Ellen White as a much-sought-after counselor?
- Chapter 10—The Choice Is Ours
- Chapter 11—For Further Study