Loading...
Larger font
Smaller font
Copy
Print
Contents
  • Results
  • Related
  • Featured
No results found for: "undefined".
  • Weighted Relevancy
  • Content Sequence
  • Relevancy
  • Earliest First
  • Latest First
    Larger font
    Smaller font
    Copy
    Print
    Contents

    1903

    January 15, 1903

    “Dedication at Burrough” Pacific Union Recorder, 2, 8, p. 5.

    ATJ

    Sabbath and Sunday, December 20, 21, were held the dedication services of the meeting-house of the Burrough Valley church. It was a pleasant occasion. Friday evening, the 19th, Elder H. G. Thurston, Brother Rudy, and the writer arrived in the beautiful little valley, and were warmly greeted at the home of Brother Dunlap. Presently we went to the pretty little house of worship, and were there warmly greeted by the rest of the brethren and sisters of the little church in this little valley. The last finishing touches had been put upon the house in the afternoon of that same day. As the sun was setting, the holy Sabbath was welcomed with the tones of the church bell, the gift of Dr. H. Dunlap, of Battle Creek, and now rung for the first time. Soon it again was rung, for the first time to call the people to meeting; and now we were met in the first meeting held in the house. Willing minds had thought and planned and saved and economized, and willing hands had worked diligently, that the little church might have a house to the praise of the Lord and in which they might worship Him; and now it was finished, it and its grounds protected by a substantial board fence, with not a cent of debt on it in any way, and we were in it in the first meeting. All were happy, and rejoiced together in gratitude to God.PUR January 15, 1903, page 5.1

    All who have been in Burrough Valley will remember a rocky knoll, almost in the very center of the valley, and about the highest point in the valley. The top of this knoll was kindly presented to the church by Mrs. Spence, who owned it, as the appropriate place for the meeting-house to stand. It is truly the ideal place in all the valley for such a purpose. On this knoll the little company built a house, 24x44, ceiled throughout with matched lumber. By a partition, about fourteen feet are set apart for the schoolroom. In this partition are double folding-doors, which, opened, allow the two rooms to be thrown into one. The platform with the pulpit is on easy-rolling casters, so that it can readily be adapted to the enlarged room when necessary. Inside and out the house is painted a clear white, and, as it stands, can be easily seen from all parts of the valley. The bell when rung can be heard, not only all over this valley, but also in the valleys and among the mountains for miles around. The carpenters who built the house did the work in such a thoroughly workmanlike manner that to look at it anywhere is a pleasure.PUR January 15, 1903, page 5.2

    Though three meetings were held, both Sabbath and Sunday, the particular service of dedication was held Sunday, at 11 A. M. All very much enjoyed the meetings and the occasion altogether. Monday morning early we were obliged to leave for other appointments, but we left the Burrough church a happy, grateful, faithfully worshiping and working company. May they ever remain so, and may that strong little church, with their good little school, enjoy their beautiful little meeting-house, in their quiet little valley, until the Lord shall call us all to the peaceful splendor of the mansions which He has gone to prepare in our Father’s true house.PUR January 15, 1903, page 5.3

    Alonzo T. Jones.PUR January 15, 1903, page 5.4

    Larger font
    Smaller font
    Copy
    Print
    Contents