Loading...
Larger font
Smaller font
Copy
Print
Contents

The Great Second Advent Movement: Its Rise and Progress

 - Contents
  • Results
  • Related
  • Featured
No results found for: "undefined".
  • Weighted Relevancy
  • Content Sequence
  • Relevancy
  • Earliest First
  • Latest First
    Larger font
    Smaller font
    Copy
    Print
    Contents

    CENTRAL AMERICA

    Elder F. J. Hutchins and his wife left the United States for the Bay Islands, Nov. 16, 1891. At this time there were, principally in Ruatan, about twenty persons who were observing the Sabbath of the fourth commandment according to the decalogue, their attention being first called to this truth by reading matter sent them by post. Three years later, in 1894, W. A. Miller and his wife left California for Bonaca, where they connected with the educational work as teachers in a school which was opened July 4, 1894, in a school-building erected by Seventh-day Adventists. The attendance during the first term was an average of thirty-four. In 1895 the school was pronounced self-sustaining, as the number of pupils had increased to forty-five.GSAM 432.3

    At the General Conference held in 1895, Elder Hutchins reported one hundred persons on the islands who were obeying the message, and he also stated that there had been two meeting-houses erected and were owned by Seventh-day Adventists. On account of a scarcity of land, and therefore very valuable for cultivation, one of these houses of worship was built over the water. These two buildings and the school-house were deeded to the General Conference Association. The value of the Conference property on the island was estimated to be $1,789.60. The amount of books sold up to 1895 was $2,243.GSAM 433.1

    Larger font
    Smaller font
    Copy
    Print
    Contents